Production update – OCAM
FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $45!

Production update

Tooling

I was hoping to have the first production run well underway this weekend, but unfortunately there have been some delays with polishing the tool. The initial polish was completed and sample of parts were run, but these were rejected when handed over to Quality Assurance (QA) due to some flaws in the texture. Since then the tool has been re-polished and the manufacturer has run another set of samples. These passed QA, and are now on their way to me for final approval. While this delay is not ideal, I want to ensure we ship a high quality product.

The compression tool for the silicone rubber base has been finished and a set of sample parts have been produced. These are also being shipped to me for final approval. These have been checked for correct fit already, so I do not anticipate any issues here.

I know production is the main thing that we are all waiting on, so I will post a new update as soon as I have any more information.

Zip Ties

Since the last update I have also been testing the zip ties I will be packaging with the triple packs. For this component I require a minimum breaking strength of 20kg (45lb) to ensure that the mount is never going to be the weak point in any setup you might put together. 

The two candidates
The two candidates
Reusable on the left with the small release tab
Reusable on the left with the small release tab

I managed to get two samples to test, the first being a single use, and the second a re-useable type. The two samples I got were from different manufacturers, so I was keen to test the breaking strength of both before including them in the packaging. The good news is the standard single use zip tie went all the way up to 25kg without breaking, but unfortunately the re-usable was breaking at only 8-10kg (17-22lb). These were so weak I actually broke a couple just setting up the test! For this reason I will only be including the single use zip ties with the packaging.

Snap!
Snap!

And finally, I have designed and mocked up the packaging for the triple mount packs. The design of the printed part has actually changed a little since the picture below, but the overall design is finalised!

 

Recent Posts